[Tutor] Re: webbrowser.Error: could not locate runnable browser

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Sat Sep 25 11:05:56 CEST 2004

SnapafunFrank wrote on Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:56:25 +1200:

Hi,

> The subject is my current problem with blender <Help Menu> and this site
> is the only one I have found that has made any mention of it. ( The only
> one listed in a search using www.vivisimo.com ).
>
> Your thread:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2003-September/025151.html applies.
<snip>
> Anyone care to entertain an old tinkerer and help me get this prob dealt to?

Being the one with the problem at the time, I can tell you that it occurs
under KDE, where the BROWSER environment variable is set to some very weird
string, which will in fact not launch the browser. What you should do is
locate the "import webbrowser" string in the Blender code (*.py) and place
in front of it the following code.

Note that Python is indentation-sensitive, so the indentation needs to
start from the same level where "import webbrowser" starts.

if os.environ.has_key("BROWSER") and \
   os.environ["BROWSER"]=='kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing':
    os.environ["BROWSER"] = 'konqueror' # set it to konqueror
import webbrowser # MUST be imported only AFTER os.environ modified

--
Yours,

Andrei

=====