[Tutor] Binarry files and large files

Andrew Fant fant at pobox.com
Mon Sep 27 20:48:59 CEST 2004

Hello,
    I am looking at using python to process unix system accounting files
from a number of servers that I manage.  While I could use simple shell
scripts and the sa command, I have found that sa doesn't have large file
support, so it can only process 2GB of files at once.  I therefore have 2
main questions to ask of the group:

1)  By default does python handle large file sizes cleanly under linux, or
do I need to do something special to enable 64 bit file pointers?

2)  Does anyone have any worlds of wisdom about handling binary files like
unix pacct files with python?  If anyone has any code that they can share
for parsing process accounting files or they know where I might find some,
I would be most grateful for pointers.

Thanks,
	Andy