[Tutor] [HELP]how to test properties of a file

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Sun Apr 3 19:42:23 CEST 2005

Tthe simplest, IMHO, is :

try:
   f = file(filename, "w")
   [...]
except IOError:
   print "The file is not writable"

Of course, not that this method empty the file if it is writable ! The
best is to just put your IO code in such a try block ... That way,
you're sure the file has the right mode.

If you don't want to open the file to detect its mode, then you need to
use the os and stat modules together ...

Pierre

--
Pierre Barbier de Reuille

INRA - UMR Cirad/Inra/Cnrs/Univ.MontpellierII AMAP
Botanique et Bio-informatique de l'Architecture des Plantes
TA40/PSII, Boulevard de la Lironde
34398 MONTPELLIER CEDEX 5, France

tel   : (33) 4 67 61 65 77    fax   : (33) 4 67 61 56 68