[Tutor] Py2exe (Joseph Q.)

Jacob S. keridee at jayco.net
Wed Apr 6 02:59:57 CEST 2005

Type this into the interpreter and post the results - copy and pasted, not
hand typed.

import sys
for x in sys.path:
    print x            ## This is indented

It should give you a list of paths -- these are all of the paths that python
looks for modules in.
My guess is that you don't have the folder with py2exe in your sys.path...

HTH,
Jacob

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this...
I downloaded py2exe and can't get it to make exe's of my python files. There
are a list of instructions:

# A very simple setup script to create 2 executables.
#
# hello.py is a simple "hello, world" type program, which alse allows
# to explore the environment in which the script runs.
#
# test_wx.py is a simple wxPython program, it will be converted into a
# console-less program.
#
# If you don't have wxPython installed, you should comment out the
#   windows = ["test_wx.py"]
# line below.
#
#
# Run the build process by entering 'setup.py py2exe' or
# 'python setup.py py2exe' in a console prompt.
#
# If everything works well, you should find a subdirectory named 'dist'
# containing some files, among them hello.exe and test_wx.exe.

from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(
    # The first three parameters are not required, if at least a
    # 'version' is given, then a versioninfo resource is built from
    # them and added to the executables.
    version = "0.5.0",
    description = "py2exe sample script",
    name = "py2exe samples",

    # targets to build
    # windows = ["test_wx.py"],
    console = ["hello.py"],
    )

What does it mean by the 'console prompt'? I tried Command Prompt (Windows
XP) but I get errors when I type 'setup.py py2exe' or 'python setup.py
py2exe'. I also don't get anything when I run the setup.py in IDLE (or the
Python command line). In fact I get an error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\py2exe\samples\simple\setup.py", line
22, in ?
    import py2exe
ImportError: No module named py2exe

If you have used or are using py2exe, please tell me what I'm doing wrong!
Thanks,
  Joseph Q.

Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org