[Tutor] Re: IDLE crashing suddenly

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 8 23:33:18 CEST 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 jsoares at Safe-mail.net wrote:

> I've noticed that after 20 or 30 compile/link/execute runs, IDLE
> crashes. This seems to happen pretty consistently. At the time, I'm not
> doing anything that might cause it to crash. Does this happen to anyone
> else? What causes it? Is it just a bug? I have IDLE version 1.1.1 which
> came with Python 2.4. Thanks. John Soares jsoares at safe-mail.net

Hi John,

[Note: when you send messages to the list, try to snip out the rest of the
digest out.  Otherwise, it looks like you're trying to reply to the whole
digest message, which looks weird.  *grin*]

What you're running to in IDLE doesn't sound right at all.  Try checking
this up with the IDLE folks at:

But before you contact them, try to make the error report more specific.
What do you mean by "crash"?  Does IDLE just not respond, or does it look
like it's waiting for something?  Do you have other software running like
a firewall?

It'll help if you can open up Python's interactive interpreter and try
this from your console window:

#####
>>> from idlelib.PyShell import main
>>> main()
#####

This runs IDLE, and also allows you to see any debugging messages or error
tracebacks that come out of IDLE.  Try doing those 20-30 executes, and
check the console window to see if you see something funky there.  If you
do see some output in your console window, copy and paste it along with
your error report.

Best of wishes to you!