[Tutor] chr() and extended ASCII?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 14:09:36 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Just working on some validators for text fields, and I started getting
unusual errors -

File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\PythonCard\components\textfield.py",
line 338, in _dispatch
widget.Widget._dispatch(self, aWxEvent)
File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\PythonCard\widget.py", line 402, in
handler(background, aWxEvent)
File "C:\Python23\SEDB\generic.py", line 53, in on_keyPress
elif len(eventSourceWidget.text) >=
or not self.isOK(eventSourceWidget.name <http://eventSourceWidget.name>,
File "C:\Python23\SEDB\generic.py", line 69, in isOK
xR = self.integerRE.search(chr(keyCode))
ValueError: chr() arg not in range(256)

(And yes, I know wxPython has validators already, I was 90% through mine
when I found them, and so I'll finish off the last 10% out of stubborn

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what was happening, so I stuck in
a try clause.

keyCode = 333
Widget = dateBooked

keyCode = 332
Widget = dateBooked

I was entering numeric data, and as I do a lot of data entry at work, by
default I use the numeric keypad, so I guess I just found that extended
ASCII stuff. Is there a easy way around this with chr()?

Or is it a case of making my own keycode to character dictionary? I'm
feeling lazy at the moment.

Liam Clarke

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.