[Tutor] Re: Python starting books (fwd)

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Wed Apr 13 08:27:57 CEST 2005

> From: Alexis <alexis1981 <at> gmail.com>
> Hi people thanks to all of you for the suggestions, I am currently
> reading some programming books but it seems as if i can't findn a
> suitable one to get me started the way i want, i mean not only
> learning the basics but getting prepared for more complex programming,

I would say that learning the basics *is* getting prepared for more complex
programming. Typically you start with defining variables, doing simple
calculations, getting user input, get to know some modules in the standard
library, etc. Then you go on to classes (this is often a difficult topic). What
you do from there depends on your needs. You might want to dive in GUI
programming, web applications, scientific stuff, games, etc. and read up on that
particular topic.

The "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" tutorial has some implementations
of common (but not necessarily useful to you) algorithms - e.g. trees - which
other books don't offer. You can also read those chapters on their own if you're
interested, but prefer to follow a different tutorial instead. In fact, you can
read texts about topics like that even if they're not Python-specific: if they
convey their ideas clearly, you can implement such things on your own.

Yours,

Andrei