[Tutor] Re: Python starting books (fwd)

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 13 09:15:32 CEST 2005

> > Hi people thanks to all of you for the suggestions, I am currently
> > reading some programming books but it seems as if i can't findn a
> > suitable one to get me started the way i want, i mean not only
> > learning the basics but getting prepared for more complex programming,
>
> I would say that learning the basics *is* getting prepared for more
> complex programming.

[some text cut]

One of the better books I've seen that talks about advanced topics is Mark
Pilgrim's "Dive into Python" book:

    http://diveintopython.org/

But I agree with Andrei: getting the basics down will pay dividends.
Especially how to use functions effectively.  I wouldn't worry about
hitting complex Python programming too quickly: you can get a lot of
millage out of simple techniques.

And these techniques don't even have to be particularly tied to Python.
One of the other best books I've read about programming is Code Complete:

    http://www.cc2e.com/

and the book makes the effort to show that there are fundamentals of good
programming that transcend a particular language.

Code Complete is the kind of book I'd recommend to a person who has had
about a year of programming experience, since a lot of what he says makes
a heck of a lot of sense after one has written a few coding blunders under
their belt.  *grin*

Best of wishes to you!