[Tutor] Re: GUI module selection?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:31:18 CEST 2005

Hi Lee,

I work with wxPython and some assorted wrappers.

Personally, I always found Tkinter a little... unsatisfying. You can do
perfectly good GUIs in it, as long as they don't get too complex, but yeah,
never appealed to me.

wxPython is a lot more powerful than Tkinter, but with power comes
complexity.
It has several wrappers and graphics designers, most free, some not.

I use Pythoncard, a wrapper which simplifies GUI design dramatically; for
anything overly complex, you can still drop to wxPython, but otherwise
PythonCard hides all the fiddly bits quite nicely.
PythonCard is inspired by HyperCard, which makes me nostalgic for when I was
13.

wxDesigner is a commercial toolkit based on the wx library.

PythonCard http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/
wxDesigner http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/wxDesigner

I can't honestly comment on the GTK+ versus wxPython, nor on the
cross-platform capability of GTK+,
but I can say that for all intents wxPython is cross-platform, quite easily.

Regards,

Liam Clarke

On 4/13/05, Lee Cullens <leec03273 at mac.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to narrow down the detailed trials I need to go through in
> selecting basic GUI module approaches (just getting started in this
> Python "playground" - dev platform Mac OS X).
>
> Maybe these old eyes are just missing it, but I can't seem to satisfy
> my curiosity on the following:
>
> 1) Use of GTK+, PyGTK and Gazpacho with Python 2.4 in general
>
> 2) GTK+, PyGTK and Gazpacho binaries for Mac OS X in general and more
> specifically for MacPython 2.4.1
>
> 3) wxPython vs GTK+ (vs Tkinter?) as a starting point for developing
> multimedia apps (for building sophisticated multimedia presentations)
> potentially for cross platform (and pyObjC for Mac only) -
> opinions/pointers anyone or maybe *another* better course?
>
> Thanks,
> Lee C

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well
please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.'