[Tutor] Re: Recommendations needed for a good data structures text

jsoares at Safe-mail.net jsoares at Safe-mail.net
Fri Apr 15 19:19:37 CEST 2005

I have never taken a formal course in data structures, and I'm beginning to think I need one. I am mostly self-taught, with most of my formal coursework in computer languages and not computer science.

Can anyone recommend a good data structures text that is not too heavy on math and theory? One that I can read on my own without having to take a course?

I need something very practical, with many short examples. I'm trying to learn to program 2D games like checkers, card games, etc.

I've been to Amazon and have seen many data structures books, but most received mixed reviews. Many emphasize fluency in C++ or Java, both of which I've used, but not for awhile. Quite a few also state that you need a rigorous math background.

My ideal data structures book:

1. Language-neutral

2. Many pseudocode examples

3. Light to medium math, math proofs, and theoretical discussions.

4. Real world examples and programs, not math related. Games related examples or other practical examples would be very helpful.

Thanks for any hints.

Best,

John

jsoares at safe-mail.net