[Tutor] Has anyone ever tried to convert the textual output of the dis module to another language

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 18 08:48:44 CEST 2005

> > Just curious. Googling for 'python "dis module" convert "another
> > language" ' only got two hits. So maybe no one is trying it? I was
> > just daydreaming about a native python compiler, and wondered how
> > feasible it would be.
>
> You might be interested in Pyrex and Psyco:
> http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/
> http://psyco.sourceforge.net/

PyPy might also be very useful:

    http://codespeak.net/pypy/

The Pypy project already has enough to retarget Python to Common Lisp,
which can be compiled.  It looks like they started thinking of it in 2003,

    http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2003q4/001048.html

and there's now code in the 'translator' module that does magical stuff.
*grin*

    http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/pypy/translator/translator.py