[Tutor] TKinter and things over Linux

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 18 09:04:03 CEST 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Alberto Troiano wrote:

> [emvamp.gif]  Gaucho
> Hey everyone I have Python 2.3 installed and when I try to import Tkinter
> I get the following error> >>>import Tkinter Traceback (most recent call
> last): File "", line 1, in ? File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ? import
> _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter I have downloaded the
> Python2.3.tar.bz2 and made this steps to install it ./configure
> --enable-unicode=ucs4 make make install The Linux AS 3.0 has Python 2.2
> and even this last one doesn-t load Tkinter what can I do????????????/
> Thanks in advanced Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Your email client is doing hideous things to your message.  *grin*

Try seeing if you can switch to plain text, because it's really darn hard
to see what's happening.  For information on how to do send plain text
emails, see:

    http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

My best guess so far is that the "Tcl/Tk" development support on your
system is spotty: depending on your Linux distribution, you may need to
install additional packages so that Python can find the Tcl/Tk stuff.

Unfortunately, this is distribution specific, so there's not set way for
us to show how to fix this. I'm guessing that you have some sort of Linux
distribution.  Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Release 3 of any
distribution, so we'll need more information.

Do you mind doing this for us?  Try executing:

#######
import sys
print sys.plaform
print sys.version
#######

Here's what shows up on one of my systems:

#######
>>> import sys
>>> print sys.platform
darwin
>>> print sys.version
2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)]
#######

Show us what happens when you execute those commands, and that'll give us
a better idea what Linux distribution you're running.

Best of wishes to you.