[Tutor] displaying images

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 10:27:28 CEST 2005

> I am working through "Programming Python" by Mark Lutz.

Thats a prettty advanced book for a tutor list reader...
but its a good un too.

> ...I am not certain what the "../gifs/" means,

Its just a path to a directory.

../
means the directory/folder above the current one.

gifs/
means the folder called 'gifs'

So if yu had a folder called 'home' with two subfolders
called 'scripts' and 'gifs' and you were running your
program in the scripts folder, then '../gifs/' would
be a reference to the  'home/gifs' folder.

> using my own files, but cannot figure out where to
> store the files I am using.

The image gifs need to be in a folder called 'gifs'
located on the same level as the folder where your
script is running.

> I have even tried using the full path name for
> my files without success.

But that should have worked too... Unless this is a
web application in which case the "full path" should
start at your home page folder.

HTH

Alan G