[Tutor] OO newbie

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 18:58:08 CEST 2005

> class SuperDict(dict):
>    count = 0
>    def __init__(self, *args, **kw):
>       self.__class__.count = self.__class__.count+1
>       super(C,self).__init__( *args, **kw)

>...so, is count like a static attribute in Java

Yes, it is a class variable - something that tells you about
the whole class rather than about a single instance of
the class. In this case it keeps tabs on how many instances
have been created. [ And if the __del__ decrements the count
it tells you how many are currently active.]

> I don't really understand how you access class attributes.
> Would it just be SuperDict.count = 10?

Thats how i would do it, I'm not sure why the OP has used
the self.__class__ magic stuff...

To me using the class name explicitly is much clearer and simpler.
But there may be some sophisticated pythonic magic at work that
I'm missing...

Alan G.