[Tutor] TKinter and things over Linux

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 19 19:18:11 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Alberto Troiano wrote:

> Sorry I have Mysql-python 1.20
> that's the one I can not install
> I said MySQLdb because I'm still using it for windows
> I can't install mysql-python it gives me the error i described
>
> With mysql-python does the sintax change???????What should I import if
> not MySQLdb????????

hi Alberto

Same syntax, same author.  And same version number.  I think you guys are
talking about the same module.  *grin* I hope we are both talking about
the MySQL-Python module from SourceForge, here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22307&package_id=15775

Alberto, why are you using ./configure?  Are you trying to execute
Python's configure script?  If so, don't: third-party modules use a
different method of installation.  See:

    http://docs.python.org/inst/inst.html

Ideally, all you need to do is untar the source to MySQL-Python, and do
something like:

######
[dyoo at shoebox dyoo]$ cd MySQL-python-1.2.0
[dyoo at shoebox MySQL-python-1.2.0]$ python setup.py build
######

The step 'python setup.py build' tells Python to try to build the third
party extension.  If you see problems here, please copy and paste exactly
what you see.

Otherwise, the last step:

######
[dyoo at shoebox MySQL-python-1.2.0]$ python setup.py install
######

should finish the job --- you may need to have administrative privileges
on your machine to do this, as it tries to write files into the same place
as the Standard Library.