[Tutor] inexplicable MySQLdb behavior, INSERT data doesn't appear

tpc at csua.berkeley.edu tpc at csua.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 19 19:59:38 CEST 2005

hi all, while recently trying to insert some data into the following
table:

# stores unique course definitions
CREATE TABLE adminCourses (
ID TINYINT UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
Code CHAR(6),
Title VARCHAR(55),
Units TINYINT UNSIGNED
) TYPE = InnoDB;

I got a 1L value when I ran the following:

cursor.execute("INSERT INTO adminCourses(ID, Code, Title, Units) VALUES
(NULL, 'EAT100', 'Josue', 30);")

indicating no errors.  Then when I cursor.execute("Select * from
adminCourses") I can see the datum, but when I go to MySQL shell and
"Select * from adminCourses;" there are 0 records !  If I then execute the
aforementioned INSERT statement while still in MySQL shell, and then the
SELECT statement, I will see the lone datum but the ID number will be
offset by how many times I executed the INSERT statement via MySQLdb
(e.g., if I cursor.execute the INSERT statement 5 times, then go to MySQL
shell to run the INSERT statement, when I do a "SELECT * from
adminCourses" the solo datum will appear prefixed by an ID number of 6).
Am I doing something wrong ?