[Tutor] TKinter and things over Linux

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 20 22:33:15 CEST 2005

> >>I couldn't print the exact error because it's a lot of pages that says
> >>mostly the same

Hi Alberto,

No, that's precisely the kind of wrong kind of attitude toward error
messages that's making this debugging much harder than it should be.

You may think that those error messages are mostly the same, but we REALLY
wanted to see that for ourselves.

Please don't interpret error messages for us: please let us make that
judgement for ourselves.  Again, I have to stress that we really like
seeing good error messages.  This may sound weird to you, but the error
message that comes out is usually much more descriptive than you might
realize.

> >>the final error says
> >>
> >>error: mysql ended exit with status 1

Right, but now we can't tell if it was a problem during compilation, or
linking, or any other kind of possibility.

In your next email, you mentioned:

> The exact error is the following:
>
> Error: compiled 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

which is equally uninformative.

All errors will eventually end up with saying something like "something
bad happened".  But what we need is "first cause": at what point do things
start to go horribly wrong?  And that's what the error log tells us.

If you had shown us the whole transcript of the error log, we'd have a
much better chance to give you exact answers on, at what stage, the
problem starts to emerge.  With what you're giving us now, we have no
clue.

If the error log is really that long, then zip it up, and put it as an
attachment.  But don't just omit it altogether.

Please also read:

Good luck to you.