[Tutor] Tracking URL in browser location bar

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 22 20:44:07 CEST 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Gautam Saha wrote:

> A newbie here..I was wondering if python can help me to track the URL in
> browser (IE6+, FF, Mozilla) location bar.
>
> What I want is to get each URL from the the browser location bar, as
> user clicks from links to link in the web (or types an URL) and store it
> in a flat file and flag some how the entry page url for all my clicks.
> If I open a new page (via a bookmark or type the url) it will then flag
> the 1st page again and keep a record of all the pages I visits
> afterwards (so that I can create a tree).
>
> 1.Can it be done easily?
> 2. Can it be done for each browser (mainly IE6+, FF, Mozilla) ?

Hi Gautam,

Yes, but it involves work: the most direct solution I can see is to write
a "web proxy".  The web proxy would be responsible for watching web
requests and saving those URLs to disk.  So, instead of:

         Browser  <===========>   WWW

we would have:

         Browser  <======>  Proxy <======> WWW

I did a quick Google search: you may find the PPS project useful:

    http://www.suttree.com/code/pps/

as they're doing something very similar.