[Tutor] properties and subclasses

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 09:24:58 CEST 2005

> > Once you get used to them meta-classes are very useful. In fact I
have
> > never built an industrial size OO system yet that did not use meta
> > classes somewhere in the design...
>
> Speaking of that, would you happen to know a good
> tutorial/introduction to metaclasses in Python?

Nope, but it sounds like a fun thing to do! :-)
Maybe I'll put that next on my worklist, as soon
as I finish writing up databases...

The only thing I've read on Python metaclasses is the paper
Guido wrote when they were introduced and it's hardly a
simple tutorial...

There is a pair of articles by the normally excellent
David Mertz here:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-pymeta.html

Alan G