[Tutor] Python FTP GUI - Possible project ?

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 10:24:37 CEST 2005

Hi Matt,

If you're au fait with pyGTK+, that combined with the ftplib module syou
should be able to build a decent GUI based FTP programme somewhat easily,
although I can guarantee that if you don't know pyGTK+ too well, you'll end
up having several screen-smashing moments, followed by a zen like
realisation or two...

Shouldn't be overly hard, not that I'm familiar with pyGTK+. I would
recommend learning ftplib thoroughly, and perhaps go through a free FTP
client and log what it does, so you can replicate the behaviour in your
programme. Some FTP programmes automatically request directory listings,
some don't, etc. etc.

One of my first projects with a GUI involved using the IMAP email protocol,
good stuff to play with.

Regards,

Liam Clarke

On 8/1/05, Matt Williams <matthew.williams at cancer.org.uk> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Does anyone know of a Python FTP GUI tool ? Preferably based around
> pyGTK+ ?
>
> I've had a look (Google, vaults of Parnassus, etc.) but haven't found
> one.
>
> If there isn't one, then would people consider it a useful project for
> newbie programmers (like myself). There have often been questions along
> the lines of "Where can I find projects to get involved in", and I
> thought this might help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well
please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.'