[Tutor] Question about BASIC and Python

Bob Gailer bgailer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 2 07:09:22 CEST 2005

At 06:13 PM 8/1/2005, Nathan Pinno wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I had a co-worker say to me at work that Python was related to or based
>upon BASIC. Is this true, and if not, how can I tell my friend why they
>are similar?

There are many versions of BASIC (Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic
Instruction Code) (or something like that). What most have in common with
Python (and a lot of other programming languages) is:
variables of various data types
statements
expressions with numeric, string, relational and boolean operations
sequential execution
control structures for conditionals and loops
subroutines
input/output
arrays

some BASIC versions also add
exception handling
an attempt at OO

Python differs in
the use of indentation to convey control structure
dictionaries
object-oriented to the max
builtin object methods
all items are objects