[Tutor] QUESTION

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 11:08:48 CEST 2005

Hi Jane,

> I'd like to know what kind of Python I can download. I've tried but
> in vain!
> My computer is windows xp servixe pack 1, version 2002.

There are two main possibilities, either the generuc Python designed
for
any computer or the ActiveSTate vesion witch is the generic version
with
some Windows specifics added in.

Since you are on Windows I'd recommend the ActiveState version:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

However it doesn't seem to work for me using Firefox - I suspect you
need IE...

So the alternative is the generic Python site:

http://www.python.org/download/

Just click on the Windows installer

Python 2.4.1 Windows installer (Windows binary -- does not include
source)

That should download an executable file to your computer.
(Make a note of where it gets stored!) Execute that file and Python
will
be installed on your PC. You will find a new menu under
Start->Programs
Within that menu start off with "Python GUI" or "IDLE" or something
similar
 - they keep changing the exact wording...

When you wind up with a window containing a nearly blank screen and a

prompt, congratulations! you have started Python and you can start
working your
way through one of the non programmers tutorials - I am assuming you
are
a non programmer?

HTH

Alan G