[Tutor] terminology question

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Aug 2 13:06:32 CEST 2005

jfouhy at paradise.net.nz wrote:
> Quoting Dick Moores <rdm at rcblue.com>:
>>Why are list comprehensions called that?
> Because that's what they're called in Haskell, I guess..
> It's historical, based on the term "set comprehension" from mathematics, also
> known as "set builder notation": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_comprehension

The Wikipedia page on "list comprehension" explicitly makes the connection to "set comprehension" and shows how the math notation and Haskell syntax resemble each other.


More information about the Tutor mailing list