[Tutor] CVS for Python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 3 21:05:59 CEST 2005

> I meant CVS for my own Python scripts. Right now, when I make a change
> to an existing script, I copy it into an "old" directory, rename with to
> append the version number, and overrwrite the actual script with the new
> version. This works well but sometimes is a pain to handle when multiple
> files are involved in toolsets.

Hi Bernard,

Ok, I see.  You're using CVS as a general term for a revision (version)
control system.  I'd recommend not doing that, just because "CVS" is
itself the name of an implementation of a revision control system.

In programming terms: it's confusing interface with implementation.
*grin*

Anyway, definitely check out something like Subversion.  It does exactly
what you're doing by hand, but in a much more sane way than manual file
copying.  The Subversion folks have written a very nice tutorial
introduction into the concept of revision control as a part of their book.
For more details, see:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html

Their tool is not really Python specific, but I find it invaluable in
doing any kind of programming.

Good luck to you!