[Tutor] Web Browser in Python

Shitiz Bansal shitizb at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 06:44:09 CEST 2005

Hi,
I actually want to create a web-browser on my own. There are so many changes i would like to see in my browser that i felt that i would be better of creating my own rather than trying to modify the existing ones.As for the size of project, I have been pursuing programming as a hobby for years and really enjoy it.I dont have any specific timeframe or deadline in mind so the size doesnt matter :).
Cheers,
Shitiz

Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
R. Alan Monroe wrote:
>>>I need to program a web browser in python.I dont have any idea of how to
>>>start, what i do have is time and willingness to learn.Could anyone direct
>>>me to some suitable reference?
>>>Shitiz
>>>

>>How about Grail http://grail.sourceforge.net/ ?
>

> Looks neat, but it doesn't run on my box:

Grail is pretty much dead, I think. If you look at the checkin mailing list the last activity was in 2001. If you really want to write a web browser it might be a good starting point though.

wxPython has an HTML widget that could also be a starting point.

I hope you realize that creating a browser on the scale of Firefox or IE is a massive and difficult project. Is that your goal or did you have something more modest in mind?

Kent

Tutor maillist - Tutor at python.org