[Tutor] Guess my number?

Rob Andrews rob.andrews at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 17:19:41 CEST 2005

Let's take a look....

I pasted your code into a new window and gave it a go. You used tabs
for indentation (or they got in there somewhere in the
email/copy/paste process), which confused my tiny mind, so I replaced
'em with spaces.

I noticed a few things. Here's my code:
#####################################
import random
import sys

number = random.randrange(100) + 1
guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess: "))
tries = 1

while (guess != number):
    if (tries > 10):
        print "too many guesses"
        sys.exit()

    if (guess > number):
        print "Lower...\n"
    elif (guess < number):
        print "Higher...\n"
    # elif (tries > 10):
       # print "You're stupid!"
    else:
        print "Error!"

    guess = int(raw_input("Take a guess: "))
    tries += 1

I noticed you mis-spelled "tries" in one place, so I changed the spelling.

I also moved the test for the number of tries to a separate "if"
statement running before the "if" you had already included, so if the
user guesses too many times, it won't continue to run through the
guess-checking routine.

And I used sys.exit() to get out cleanly when the user exceeds the guess limit.

-Rob