[Tutor] Curses example on Linux?

Hossein Movahhedian dma8hm1956 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 16:54:50 CEST 2005

   Hi All,

   I have copied the following example from "Learning to Program by Alan
 Gauld (section: Event Driven Programming)". To run it on Linux
 (Redhat 8.0; Python 2.4) the tutorial says to replace 'msvcrt'
 with 'curses.stdscr'. But there is no stdscr method in curses.
 In fact with 'import curses.stdscr' I get the following error message::

 Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
 ImportError: No module named stdscr

 How should I modify it for Linux?

Thanks in advance,
Hossein

The example:{{{

import msvcrt

def doKeyEvent(key):
    if key == '\x00' or key == '\xe0': # non ASCII
       key = msvcrt.getch() # fetch second character
    print ord(key)

def doQuitEvent(key):
    raise SystemExit

# First, clear the screen of clutter then warn the user
# of what to do to quit
lines = 25 # set to number of lines in console
for line in range(lines): print

print "Hit space to end..."
print

# Now mainloop runs "forever"
while True:
   ky = msvcrt.getch()
   length = len(ky)
   if length != 0:
      # send events to event handling functions
      if ky == " ": # check for quit event
         doQuitEvent(ky)
      else:
         doKeyEvent(ky)