[Tutor] PyChecker: Installing and or Using

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Aug 9 15:13:42 CEST 2005

Dick Moores wrote:
> Win XP. Python2.4.
>
> Javier Ruere suggested getting PyChecker or PyLint. I found PyChecker and
> put the pychecker-0.8.14 folder in
> C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\PyChecker. I don't really know what I'm
> doing (obviously?), but I added
> C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\PyChecker\pychecker-0.8.14\pychecker to
> PYTHONPATH.

You should only do one of these; packages in site-packages are already in the path, though you have too many levels of directories...the install should do this right.

> My probably dumb question is, how do I "do" those things? I've tried
> "python setup.py install" at the command line (at Run, I entered cmd and
> then at the prompt in the window I entered python setup.py install. No
> good. Then I tried python pychecker/checker.py . I got:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Dick>python pychecker/checker.py
> 'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

You have to add 'C:\Python24' to your PATH environment variable, or give the full path in the command line as
C:\Python24\python setup.py install

Also when you run setup.py you will have to be in the directory containing setup.py.

Question to the tutors - should the Python installer on Windows be adding C:\Python24 to the PATH variable? My recollection is that it used to do that but recent versions don't.

Kent