[Tutor] Invoking bash from within a python program

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 09:28:08 CEST 2005

> Also, if you have a recent version of Python (Python 2.4), the
> 'subprocess' module might be worth a look:
>
>    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-subprocess.html

Is it just me or does anyone else think the new subprocess module
is making something fairly easy into something fairly complicated?
There are an awful lot of options to the Popen call...

subprocess looks like the classic example of trying to rationalise
many simple things into one and in the process making it much more
complicated.

But I'm not using 2.4 yet so can only go by the module documentation.
How has it been in practice?

Alan G.