[Tutor] convert a file from plaintext(Ascii) to unicode? very quickquestions

luke rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 02:57:28 CEST 2005

um...
>>> help(unicode)
Help on class unicode in module __builtin__:
[snip help stuff]
 |  encode(...)
 |      S.encode([encoding[,errors]]) -> string or unicode
 |
 |      Encodes S using the codec registered for encoding. encoding defaults
 |      to the default encoding. errors may be given to set a different
error
 |      handling scheme. Default is 'strict' meaning that encoding errors
raise
 |      a UnicodeEncodeError. Other possible values are 'ignore', 'replace'
and
 |      'xmlcharrefreplace' as well as any other name registered with
 |      codecs.register_error that can handle UnicodeEncodeErrors.

[snip rest of help]

Denise,
I dont know much about Unicode but it seems like
f = file(filename, "r")
text = f.readlines()
text = text.encode()
#or maybe just text.encode()?
f.close()

should encode the filetext to unicode.
then you could do a
f = file(filename, "w")
f.writelines(text)
f.close()

sorry I don't know more about it but I hope that helps you.
-Luke