[Tutor] i18n on Entry widgets

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Aug 18 05:24:29 CEST 2005

OK this is actually starting to make sense :-) Here is what I think is happening:

You get different results in the IDE and the console because they are using different encodings. The IDE is using utf-8 so the params are encoded in utf-8. The console is using latin-1 and you get encoded latin-1 params.

When you use babelfish from the browser it gets a page in utf-8 and sends the parameters back the same way, but probably with a header saying it is utf-8. When you use urllib you don't tell it the encoding so it is assuming latin-1, that's why the interpreter version works.

So in your GUI version if you get utf-8 from the GUI, you can convert it to latin-1 by
phrase.decode('utf-8').encode('latin-1') as long as your text can be expressed in latin-1. If you need utf-8 then you have to figure out how to tell babelfish that you are sending utf-8.

Kent

PS please reply to the list not to me personally.