[Tutor] Linux app question

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Thu Aug 18 20:35:22 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 18:10 +0100, Alan G wrote:
> It might be /usr/bin/env...
It is "/usr/bin/env".  You could use "/usr/bin/python" instead under
Linux (it might not work under other Unix like OSes).

> Yes, in fact you dont really need to rename the file, its just a
> nicety.
>
> All Unix scripts use this trick including shell scripts, awk, perl,
> tcl, ruby etc. It's been standard Unix practice for many years.
But the file must be *Executable*!  That's, it must have the execute bit
set.  Run "chmod +x file_name" to set the execute bit.

Also, make sure to use the "Rock Ridge" extension when creating the CD
(to enable the long filenames and to preserve the information about the
execute bit).  And as Ewald Ertl said on another mail, if the CD was
mounted with to execute permission turned off (that's the "noexec"
option passed to the mount command), the the
"python /mnt/cdrom/installer.py" way is the *only* way you have to run
that script.  And don't assume the CD will be mounted on "/mnt/cdrom"!
On my system, it's mounted under "/media/cdrom" and under a default
installation of Debian it's under "/cdrom".

Last note:  Modern Desktop Environment under Linux and BSD (Like GNOME
and KDE) have the ability to run a script named "autorun.sh", "autorun",
or ".autorun" if any of them is present on the CD when mounted.  This
might be useful to you.

> Alan G.

Ziyad.