[Tutor] Linux/Window Differences in Python?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 18 22:50:25 CEST 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Catherine Kostyn wrote:

>  Are there any differences in Python between operating systems or is it
>  really compatible with the majority of operating systems?

Hi Catherine,

Python does support platform-dependent extensions, and those are used for
things like integrating into Win32API, or COM.  But your programs should
be interoperable between platforms as long as you don't make the effort to
make them platform specific.  *grin*

> Obviously I don't know anything about Python, other than that ESRI is
> moving from VBA to Python as the preferred interface for customization
> and application development inside of ArcGIS (or so we have been told
> from our GIS department). I've also been told that Python is much more
> straightforward than VBA, (which sounds good to me), and if it works as
> well with ArcObjects as I have been told, then I need to learn it.

We've been seeing some questions from ArcGIS users.  I have to admit that
I don't think a lot of us here on Tutor have experience with it.  ESRI
does have their own forums for supporting Python/ArcGIS, so for issues
about integrating the two, you'll probably want to ask on the ESRI forums.

But for pure Python-related issues, feel free to ask here; we'll be glad
to help.  If you haven't already, you may want to look at:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

and if you have more programming experience,

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers

Good luck!