[Tutor] Linux/Window Differences in Python?

Alan G alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 00:23:11 CEST 2005

> I use Debian Linux at home and XP at work.
> Are there any differences in Python between operating systems

There ate not really any differences in Python itself but there
are some differences in the modules available.

If you go to the documentation page on the web site and look at
the Module Index you wuill see certain ones have the OS name beside
them. That means it only works on that OS.

Usually these are very OS specific modules for programming system
level things like networks, file permissions and directory stuctures
etc.

Most application level bits just work as expected regardless of OS.
I use Linux, Sun, XP and MacOS and almost all my Python programs
work on all machines without modification. If you install the cygwin
extensions on your XP box then you get most of the Unix tools and
a dedicated version of Python that does both XP and Unix stuff!

(Any Unix user on XP owes it to themselves to install cygwin)

> I've also been told that Python is much more straightforward
> than VBA, (which sounds good to me),

I use VBScript and Python in my tutorial so you can copare the
two if you are interested. They aren't so very different but
Python does have some nice features and is easier to read IMHO.

Alan G