[Tutor] Linux/Window Differences in Python?

Catherine Kostyn CKOSTYN at Indygov.org
Fri Aug 19 15:42:58 CEST 2005

Thanks to everyone for their comments on Python. I am glad to hear that, aside from specific modules, it is pretty much cross-platform as I thought, I just wanted to make certain that my understanding was correct. I am NOT a programmer, though my job responsibilities keep dragging me closer and closer to that point :) What little I have seen of Python so far I have liked, mainly because the statements seemed pretty straightforward.

Someone noted that the list has already seen some ESRI related traffic, and I suspect that may increase - though as more people learn more about it there will likely be more Python-related help in the ESRI forums. There is some traffic there now on this topic, but not much (yet).

Just to summarize what is happening, a search of the ESRI website indicates that ArcGIS 9.0 and 9.1 installs Python 2.1 (because of problems running a silent install of Pythonwin). To solve this problem ArcGIS 9.2 will support a native Python module for ArcGIS which will remove the dependence on Pythonwin so the latest version of Python will be shipped at that time. It will be interesting to see if VBA will still be supported at that time, no one seems to know.... (or telling)

Thanks again! I am quite sure I will be back with newbie Python questions :) I have a book at home that teaches python by creating little games, can't remember the name...

Catherine