[Tutor] Counting help

Scott Oertel me at scottoertel.info
Tue Aug 23 21:48:47 CEST 2005

Scott Oertel wrote:

> Byron wrote:
>
>>Luis N wrote:
>>

>>>Ideally, you would put your names into a list or dictionary to make
>>>working with them easier. If all you're trying to do is count them
>>>(and your list of names is long), you might consider a dictionary
>>>which you would use like so:
>>>
>>>#This is just the first thing I considered.
>>>
>>>l = ['a list of names']
>>>
>>>d = {}
>>>
>>>for name in namelist:
>>>   if d.has_key(name):
>>>       x = d.get(name)
>>>       d[name] = x + 1
>>>   else:
>>>       d[name] = 1
>>>

>>100% agreed.  I have used this approach before and it works great...
>>
>>Byron
>>

> Thanks for the snipplet, it's perfect for what I'm doing, I wasn't
> aware of the has_key() or get(), this is very usefull.
>

> -Scott Oertel

The next problem I have though is creating the dict,

i have a loop, but i can't figure out how to compile the dict,  it is
returning this: ('Joey Gale', ('Scott Joe', ('This is lame' )))

listofnames = []
while (cnt < number[1][0]):
    if (date[2] == today[2]):
        test = regex.findall(M.fetch(int(number[1][0]) - cnt,
'(BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (FROM)])')[1][0][1].rstrip())
        cnt += 1
        if (nameofsender != []):
            print nameofsender[0]
            listofnames = nameofsender[0], listofnames
        else:
            no_name += 1
    else: break