[Tutor] Importing modules/classes

Hans Dushanthakumar Hans.Dushanthakumar at navman.com
Thu Aug 25 02:02:05 CEST 2005

Hi
   Am trying to get my head around classes in python.

I have a file dummy_class.py with a class definition in it, as foloows

class dummy_class:
    def __init__(self):
        print "__init__"

    def run(self):
        print "run"

Now, I have another file test_dummy.py, which only has the foll 2 lines

import dummy_class
d=dummy_class()

When I run this file (via IDLE), I get the foll error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "H:/Docs/PyScripts/test_dummy_class.py", line 3, in -toplevel-
    d=dummy_class()
TypeError: 'module' object is not callable

However, if the class definition was part of the same file
(test_dummy.py), instead of importing it, it runs as expected. Why does
this happen?

Cheers
Hans