[Tutor] (no subject)

Suranga Sarukkali surangasa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:35:45 CEST 2005

What does [sic] mean? I see it all the time.
June
Bakersfield, California
Dear June:
Us too. We always wondered why these three little letters appear next to
misspellings and other mistakes. As with many grammatical issues, we
learned that Latin is to blame.

"Sic" is Latin for "thus." Yeah, that didn't clear it up for us either.
But apparently, since the 1880s, writers have used [sic] next to
quotations that include errors.

This little notation means, "Hey, I know this quote looks wrong, but it
was that way when I found it, so don't blame me." Maybe the original
text used archaic spelling or the original writer just messed up. But
the person who's quoting that text is aware of the earlier mistake and
wants you to know it.

[Sic] is shorthand for all that, at least to scholarly types.