[Tutor] Auto package install?

Nelson, Scott SNelson at midwaygames.com
Tue Dec 6 18:16:13 CET 2005

The Zen of Python (http://www.python.org/doc/Humor.html#zen) states:

"There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."

I'm searching for the obvious Pythonic way to achieve automated package
installation (I believe Perl's CPAN can be used to accomplish this in
Perl?).  I'd like to have a way where a Python script can automatically
download/install/update the versions of packages it needs to run.  I'm
looking to avoid requiring the users of my scripts to manually download
and install a pile of packages (with potential for user error) just to
run my scripts.  I use mostly common packages such as wxPython.  My
scripts may eventually get out to > 100 people over 3 states so I want
to minimize administration and potential for user error.

I'm aware of the very handy CheeseShop (http://www.python.org/pypi), but
this doesn't automate the installation process.  I've done some googling
and found ciphon (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonsiphon) and
pypan (http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/pypan/), but both seem
somewhat abandoned and incomplete.  EasyInstall
(http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall) seems new and I'm
willing to hear any experiences with it.

I also glanced thru c.l.p and most of the discussions seem a few years
old and bordered on holy wars with no real obvious resolution...

So, what is the obvious way to accomplish this?  If no such solution
exists currently, what do people consider "best practices" when
releasing scripts dependent on other packages to a number of users?

Thanks for the help.  I'm relatively new to the group and it has been
great so far!

-Scott