[Tutor] Learning books

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 20 22:17:47 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Richard wrote:

> Afternoon all, My son asked me what books I would like for Christmas
> this year. So what would you recommend?

Merry Chrismas!

I'm partial to George Polya's "How to Solve It":

    http://www.math.utah.edu/~alfeld/math/polya.html

It's not Python nor programming specific, but instead it's more of a
general problem-solving-strategy book.  I wish I had seen it earlier in
life, so I'm hoping this recommendation is helpful.  It's one of those
books that's surprisingly applicable.

I'm also very fond of "The Psycology Of Computer Programming":

    http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/psy.html

which also talks about learning.  Again, not Python specific in the
slightest (some of the code in there is Cobol!  *grin*), but very useful
and fun to read.

Good luck to you!