[Tutor] Learning books

w chun wescpy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 09:56:05 CET 2005

On 12/20/05, Richard <rich.424 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Afternoon all, My son asked me what books I would like for Christmas
> this year. So what would you recommend?
>
> I am a beginner here.

hi richard,

welcome to the list.  are you a beginner to Python (but have
programming experience), a beginner to programming *and* Python, or
other?

if you are new to programming period, then congratulations for finding
Python and this mailing list... you've done your homework.  good books
to start here include:
1) michael dawson's python programming for the absolute beginner
2) alan (gauld)'s learn to program
and as a good beginner's reference:
3) chris fehily's quick start guide

if you're new to programming from a computer science student's
perspective, there's:
1) john zelle's python programming: intro to computer science

if you're new to programming from a graphic artist/designer or
multimedia point-of-view, try:
1) mark guzdial's introduction to computing and programming in python

if you're already a programmer and want to pick up Python as quickly
as possible:
1) <SHAMELESS>Core Python Programming by yours truly, however 2nd ed
won't come out until Summer 2006, and i myself am having a hard time
getting new copies of the 1st ed</SHAMELESS>
2) mark pilgrim's dive into python
3) magnus hetland's beginning python
4) ascher and lutz learning python if you have a background in C programming

good luck, and feel free to ask more specific questions about what
you're looking for.

cheers,
- wesley
    http://corepython.com