[Tutor] [OT] A thanks for all the help since I've found tutor

Brian van den Broek broek at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Dec 29 01:22:42 CET 2005

Hi all,

I'd like to thank the tutor community, especially Alan, Danny, and
Kent, but all the other posters, regular and occasional, tutor or
tutee, too.

I've recently been engaged in what, for pre-python and -tutor me,
would have been some deeply black magic unrelated to python, and the
tutor list is a big part of why I had the confidence to try my hand at
conjuring.

<details that have nothing to do with python>
I've mentioned in another thread that I've recently installed ubuntu.
It's on a laptop, and there has been some pain. My fan isn't working
right, nor is much of the other acpi governed stuff. Within a few days
of the install, I found myself decompiling the DSDT (Differentiated
System Description Table) file provided by my OEM and fixing the code
(C, I think) so that it would compile with an intel-provided complier.
Apparently, the MS compiler which Fujitsu used would ignore various
"Object does not exist" errors that an intel compiler (and, by
extension, the linux kernel attempting to employ the DSDT file) choked on.

Now, all that has nothing to do with python. But, I don't think I'd
have felt up to even trying to fix code produced by Fujitsu in a
language I don't really understand had I not had python and the
community to give me confidence in my abilities.

FWIW, my fix worked on the immediate problem of compilation failure.
The ultimate problem remains, as Fujitsu is very proud of its
proprietary fan control technology :-(  Be that as it may, while I
didn't succeed, at least I failed nobly in the effort rather than
merely turning tail :-)

So, thanks to all, and best wishes for 2006!

Brian vdB