[Tutor] Presentation

Max Noel maxnoel_fr at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 1 03:43:32 CET 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 16:35, Paul Hartley wrote:

> When I was a member of the Forth Interest Group in the USA we learned
> that Forth was used on the buggy that went to mars, that it started
> life controlling huge radio telescopes which only had 4k (yes 4k) of
> memory for both language and application.
>
> Anything like the above concerning python would be useful.

	Well, that's probably not as awe-inspiring, but BitTorrent is written
entirely in Python (with the wxPython graphical toolkit for the Windows
and X11 versions, and PyObjC for the Mac OS X version). Google also use
the language extensively, although I don't exactly know why, thanks to
their obsession with secrecy.

	You could point out that Python's greatest strength (aside from its
extreme readability -- unlike most people, The Whitespace Thing always
struck me as an excellent design decision, although had I been Guido,
I'd have forced the use of either tabs or spaces but not allowed both)
is the fact that it's multi-paradigm. You can work procedurally,
object-orientedly, and even in some cases functionally. And you can
mix-and-match those 3 paradigms depending on your needs. This can be
very useful.

	Oh, and make sure you mention iterators and list comprehensions at
some point.

-- Max
maxnoel_fr at yahoo dot fr -- ICQ #85274019
"Look at you hacker... A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting
and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a
perfect, immortal machine?"