[Tutor] Tkinter questions

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Wed Feb 2 16:40:52 CET 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:08:41 +0200
Mark Kels <mark.kels at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

> Hello,
> I got some Tkinter questions that I need the answer for to complete a
> little project of mine:
> 1. How can I make the program to open in a X*Y sized window ?

from Tkinter import *
root = Tk()
root.geometry('600x400+0+0')

This makes a window of 600x400 pixels placed in the upper left corner of the screen (+0+0 is the x- and y- offset;
both of the window size and the offset may be omitted, so you can use '600x400' or '+0+0' as arguments for geometry()
as well).

> 2. How can I open another window from the first one (without closing it) ?

Use instances of Toplevel() to create new windows as children of the root (Tk()) window.

> 3. How can I add a file browser for my app (like the one you get when
> you press "Save as..." in windows apps) ?

import tkFileDialog
filename = tkFileDialog.asksaveasfilename()
if filename:
    # save the file...; if the user presses the 'Cancel' button, filename should be set to an empty string.

> 4. How do I configure the font size on the Text widget (its realy
> huge, and I would like to change it to somthing like 12).

text = Text(parent, font=('helvetica', '-12', 'normal'))# "negative" size -> pixel size
or:
text.configure(font=('helvetica', '12', 'normal'))# "positive" size -> point size

You can use any 3-tuple of the form (family, size, weight) as font descriptor; if the requested font is not
found, the widget should fall back to some (probably ugly) default; tk guarantees that at least 'times',
'helvetica' and 'courier' font families are available, the availability of other fonts depends on your system.

I hope this helps

Michael