[Tutor] Python 2.4 with Mandrake 10.0 query

Glen stygian at tesco.net
Wed Feb 2 22:44:24 CET 2005

My setup is Mandrake 10.0 which came with python 2.3 and a standard
Python 2.4 build/install.
I always start Idle from an icon on my taskbar, when I click the icon,
Idle starts after a second but a small rotating timer appears over
the taskbar for 30 seconds and then disappears.
If I close Idle immediatly, the timer still remains for the 30 seconds.
Idle/Python has always seemed to run perfectly so I have ignored
the timer until I recently thought to run Idle from a console.
Idle/Python still works great but this output appears in the console...

[glen at localhost glen]$ idle
set([34, 36, 38, 39])
Failed to load extension 'CodeContext'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/idlelib/EditorWindow.py", line 737, in
load_standard_extensions
    self.load_extension(name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/idlelib/EditorWindow.py", line 747, in
load_extension
    mod = __import__(name, globals(), locals(), [])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/idlelib/CodeContext.py", line 15, in ?
    from sets import Set
ImportError: cannot import name Set
[glen at localhost glen]$

I have only just discovered the set command in python,
and it seems a bit of a coincedence that some of the console output
lines...

set([34, 36, 38, 39])
    from sets import Set
ImportError: cannot import name Set

...appear connected to code I was playing with a few days ago.
I have looked at CodeContext.py, and line 15 is 'from sets import Set'
which Python 2.4 doesn't like, as set is already built in.
I have rebuilt/installed Python 2.4, but it made no difference.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what may be going on?

Glen