[Tutor] Are you allowed to shoot camels? [kinda OT]

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Feb 4 22:23:06 CET 2005

Smith, Jeff wrote:

> IMHO, if/elif/else statements are far more abused than either switch or
> ternary but I certainly wouldn't argue they should be removed from the
> language.

IMHO, if it's true that if/elif/else statements are more abused than
ternaries, then it's only because they're *used* far more often than
ternaries.  I'd say that the percentage of uses which could count as
abuse is *far* higher for ternary than for if/elif/else.

And I avoid (and recommend against) Python's "a and b or c" trick for
similar reasons -- it *is* a trick.  A 'real' ternary operator is
confusing enough; this trick is more readable (words instead of opaque
symbols) but more difficult to write correctly given the constraints
on 'a'...

Maybe I'm just weird, but I just don't find so much benefit to putting
*everything* in-line.  Occassionally it improves readability, but more
often it obscures and obfuscates.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International