[Tutor] Re: variation of Unique items question

Liam Clarke cyresse at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 01:14:33 CET 2005

When someone joins the list, they shoudl receive a welcome email that
contains -

> - a clear description of what you want to do
> - sample data
> - desired results
> - code that attempts to solve the problem

as a helpful hint of how to ask questions.

I have this bookmarked -

"Never assume you are entitled to an answer. You are not; you aren't,
after all, paying for the service. You will earn an answer, if you
earn it, by asking a question that is substantial, interesting, and
thought-provoking — one that implicitly contributes to the experience
of the community rather than merely passively demanding knowledge from
others."

"RTFM has a younger relative. If you get a reply that reads "STFW",
the person who sent it thinks you should have Searched The F**king
Web. He is almost certainly right. Go search it. (The milder version
of this is when you are told "Google is your friend!")"

"Q:	My {program, configuration, SQL statement} doesn't work

This is not a question, and I'm not interested in playing Twenty
Questions to pry your actual question out of you — I have better
things to do.

Q:

How can I crack root/steal channel-ops privileges/read someone's email?

You're a lowlife for wanting to do such things and a moron for asking
a hacker to help you."

Arrogant words of wisdom to ask help by. :- )
(But, some of them seem appropriate here from time to time.)

Liam Clarke
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:02:25 -0500, Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
> I will give some credit to you for asking a clear question. You included
> - a clear description of what you want to do
> - sample data
> - desired results
> - code that attempts to solve the problem
>
> When all of these are present I am much more likely to respond. The first three elements especially
> make a big difference.
>
> Kent
>
> Scott Melnyk wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Kent once again you have responded incredibly quickly in a most
> > helpful manor.  I sometimes wonder if the old reference to a
> > "Kent-bot" has some truth to it.
> >
> > Thanks again, I will play with it and keep on going.
> >
> > Scott

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.