[Tutor] Hex to Str - still an open issue

Max Noel maxnoel_fr at yahoo.fr
Sun Feb 6 13:28:51 CET 2005

On Feb 6, 2005, at 08:59, Liam Clarke wrote:

> Ah, yeah, gotta get me one of those textbooks.
> (Wait a minute, that would mean, my approach wasn't the textbook
> approach... /me salvages a little pride.)
>
> While I jest somewhat, that highlights a serious deficiency in my
> education that becomes more and more apparent, which is in maths.
> Sheesh, if I'd known I wanted to use maths for something I enjoyed, I
> would've paid attention in class.
>
> But the remainder thing - would this be why we read binary the way we
> do?
>
> 4 is 001 (on a continuum of 2^0 to 2^n), but using the above approach
> we get 100.
>

> Regards,
>
> Liam Clarke

	Yes, it is 100. The most significant bit (i.e. the highest power of 2)
is on the left, just as the most significant digit (matching the
highest power of 10) is on the left when representing base-10 numbers:
415 is 4*10^2 + 1*10^1 + 5*10^0.

-- Max
maxnoel_fr at yahoo dot fr -- ICQ #85274019
"Look at you hacker... A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting
and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a
perfect, immortal machine?"