[Tutor] Re: print out lines that start with a word

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Wed Feb 9 09:44:15 CET 2005

Wolfram Kraus a écrit :
> Liam Clarke wrote:
>
>> regexes are common across a lot of languages, even Java has them.
>> Though the pain that would be I daren't not imagine. So the syntax is
>>  familiar, whereas string methods may not be.
>
> But IMHO string methods are (more) explicit and readable, the name tells
> you what the method is doing. I know that sometimes regexp are really
> fine, e.g. extracting something from html or maybe speed issues (can
> anyone enlighten me on that one?), but for simple task like the OP's
> problem I'd always use string methods.
>
> Wolfram

I completely agree ! Then, it will very probably be more efficient. And
the methods (or functions) like "startwith" are avalaible in almost
every string library !

Pierre

--
Pierre Barbier de Reuille

INRA - UMR Cirad/Inra/Cnrs/Univ.MontpellierII AMAP
Botanique et Bio-informatique de l'Architecture des Plantes
TA40/PSII, Boulevard de la Lironde
34398 MONTPELLIER CEDEX 5, France

tel   : (33) 4 67 61 65 77    fax   : (33) 4 67 61 56 68