[Tutor] Perl Symbology (was: Are you allowed to shoot camels?)

Bill Mill bill.mill at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:50:34 CET 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:28:26 -0000, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Although it's worse with:
> > newstr = s + ' ' + str(n) + ' ' + str(r)
>
> You could try:
>
> newstr = s + ' ' + `n` + ' ' + `r`
>
> if you think thats better.
> But `` is different to str() for some types.
>
> Personally I prefer the formatting approach.
>
> > But in my mind nothing beats the Perl statement:
> > newstr = "$s $n $r";
>
> Perl is king of string processing in modern scripting,
> without a doubt. But even here the $ prefix could have
> been used for that specific purpose without insisting
> it be used everywhere else!
>
> BTW Anyone recall how Ruby does this?

I don't know ruby at all, but a quick google and 30 interpreter seconds later:

irb(main):001:0> x = 12
=> 12
irb(main):002:0> '$x'
=> "$x"
irb(main):003:0> "$x"
=> "$x"
irb(main):004:0> "#{$x}"
=> ""
irb(main):005:0> "#{x}"
=> "12"
irb(main):006:0> '#{x}'
=> "#{x}"

so "#{<variable}" seems to do it. The googling shows that there are a
myriad of other ways, which I haven't even looked at. They all seem to
involve #{[symbol]<variable>} .

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com